Can Irregular Sleeping Pattern Cause Acidity
October 07, 2022
Getting seven to eight hours of sleep is sometimes more difficult to achieve than getting into your dream college or dream job. Those eight hours are crucial to maintain a healthy functioning routine to carry out various responsibilities throughout the day. Many of you are quite aware of the stress that can build up in case of lack of sleep. But did you know lack of sleep could also be the cause or trigger behind your heartburn or acid reflux, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Let’s get deeper into exactly how irregular sleeping or lack of sleep is associated with gastric issues such as acidity. Health experts have been trying to uncover the link between our gut health and sleep for many years now. Several studies have shown that nighttime heartburn is prevalent and that individuals who experience nighttime heartburn have associated sleep disturbances resulting in alterations in daytime performance.
Here are 3 ways in which irregular sleeping cycle affects your gut health
- Lack of sleep increases stress: stress hormones released due to lack of sleep can affect the proper functioning of the intestines. This sometimes leads to leaky gut situation where toxins are able to pass through into the bloodstream; resulting in inflammation, bloating and food sensitivity.
- Unhealthy food choices: Lack of sleep often leads to irregular eating patterns as well. The out of time binging on unhealthy foods and snacks lead to symptoms of acidity and indigestion.
- Lack of melatonin: Melatonin not only induces sound sleep but also regulates gastrointestinal mobility. Lower levels of melatonin can potentially result in acid reflux. Some people who are diagnosed with GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) take melatonin supplements to help them sleep better and keep GERD in control.
Things you can do to prevent an unpleasant situation due to lack of sleep
- Avoid lying down immediately after eating a meal. You should always have a gap of 2-3 hours between your bedtime and dinner.
- Make a sleep schedule and stick to it no matter what. By doing so, eventually the body falls into an automatic rhythm of dozing and waking up.
- Try relaxing techniques such as yoga, breathing exercises or meditation before hitting the bed. These will calm you down and induce sleep.
- Avoid caffeine based drinks in the evenings or late evenings. The effect of caffeine can last up to 8 hours before weaning off.
- Avoid alcohol before bed as it keeps you from falling into deep sleep.
- Avoid heavy meals and beverages at dinner. They make the digestive system work harder which in turn can lead to indigestion or acidity.
- Consult a doctor if you find it difficult to sleep peacefully to rule out any other underlying untreated cause.
Once you start following a sleeping pattern, you will gradually see the many benefits it brings to your life! If you still feel the occurrences of acidity have not gone down a notch then here is a quick solution to the problem. The 100% Ayurvedic formulation of Gas-O-Fast is there to bring fast relief from acidity, gas and indigestion.
Disclaimer This blog solely intended for the educational/informational/awareness purposes and is not a substitute for any professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your doctor/healthcare professional before acting on the information provided on the blog. Reliance on any or all information provided in the blog, is solely at your own risk and responsibility. Mankind Pharma Limited shall not be held liable, in any circumstance whatsoever.