Feeling full up till your throat, experiencing sharp stomach ache or stomach burning sensation – well that is what a classic case of indigestion looks like. It is uncomfortable and often painful, leaving you restless. Indigestion happens to almost everyone varying by its intensity. One of the most common, uncomfortable, and painful problems it causes is the bloating of the stomach which is necessarily due to buildup of gas in the stomach particularly in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Stomach bloating and pain can occur due to any of these reasons including heavy meal, indigestion, water retention, serious alcohol sessions, carbonated drinks, menstruation, constipation, fluid retention or wind. A bloated stomach is larger and feels tight, painful, and creates temporary abdominal distention. While for some people the bloating and stomach gas pain would be momentary, many others seriously experience sharp pain and discomfort.
Some other symptoms of indigestion include:
· Feeling full while eating without being able to finish
· Tender stomach
· Slight pain while touching the stomach
· Feeling abnormally full even after a regular meal
· Burning sensation in the esophagus or stomach
· Gnawing in the stomach
· Formation of gas in the stomach
· Excessive foul-smelling farting
· Black stool
· Trouble in swallowing food
· Sudden weight loss
Most often, these symptoms are mild and do not need any medical attention. A few home remedies can easily cure indigestion, relieving you of gas problems, acidity, stomach ache, and stomach burning. Though, it is more important to check the causes of indigestion and ensure you refrain from any triggers and remove the problem from its roots.
Causes of indigestion include:
· Not chewing well or eating too fast
· Intake of spicy, greasy, oily, and fatty food
· Lying down right after a meal
· Excessive alcohol consumption
· Certain medications
· Obesity or excessive weight
· Late night snacking
· Carbonated drinks
· Lack of physical exercise
Certain eating habits, chronic digestive problems can trigger indigestion that can cause stomach ache, bloating, heartburn, nausea, or even vomiting. Apart from these, the consumption of some food items also disturbs the natural digestive process of the body. These food items include but are not limited to:
· Black pepper
· Raw onions
Some home remedies that work wonders and cure the problem of indigestion include:
· Drinking warm lemon water on an empty stomach in the morning is a very effective home remedy to cure stomach pain and bloating which is essentially caused because of retention of water in the body. Lemon being a natural diuretic and a laxative reduces the amount of retained water while stimulating the digestive process.
· Consuming more pumpkin in everyday food. Pumpkin is nearly 90% water, supremely easy to digest, enriched with fiber and full of potassium – all of which relieve stomach gas pain and bloating. Pumpkin flushes the intestine-clogging materials out of the system, stimulates the movement of food in the gastrointestinal tract, and helps the body get rid of the excessive sodium.
· Drinking Peppermint tea post every meal. Peppermint has antispasmodic and relaxant properties that promote healthy digestion and prevent clogging of gas in the stomach. Peppermint very effectively calms the stomach muscles and enhances the flow of bile which helps in the digestion of fats.
· Drinking Chamomile tea every day on an empty stomach can effectively reduce stomach pain and bloating caused due to indigestion. The antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties of chamomile fasten the dispelling of stomach gas and soothe the muscles of the intestines enabling food to pass through smoothly.
· Consuming caraway seeds helps in reducing stomach bloating and gas troubles. It is very effective in reducing heartburn, bloating, stomach gas, and intestinal cramps. Caraway is also known to relieve constipation and helps in reducing weight.
· Drinking ginger tea. Ginger is full of carminative properties that help to expel stomach gas and calm the stomach relieving you of acidity, stomach gas, cramps, and indigestion.
· Consuming baking soda. Baking soda functions as an antacid cures indigestion and counteracts the hydrochloric acid in the stomach relieving you of stomach bloating.
· Drinking apple cider vinegar which is extremely effective in resolving gas problem and stomach bloating due to the presence of enzymes and digestive properties that amp up the digestive process.
More so, if you apart from these home remedies that can cure indigestion and the resultant stomach ache and bloating; you should also keep Gas-O-Fast flavored sachets handy that can provide you instant relief from indigestion. Alternatively, you can also take Gas-O-Fast Sachet that combine the goodness of Ayurvedic ingredients to provide you quick relief from indigestion.
Disclaimer This blog solely intended for the educational/informational/awareness purposes and is not a substitute for any professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your doctor/healthcare professional before acting on the information provided on the blog. Reliance on any or all information provided in the blog, is solely at your own risk and responsibility. Mankind Pharma Limited shall not be held liable, in any circumstance whatsoever.