Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or more popularly called the GERD disease is the heartburn and ingestion you experience because of improper digestion in your body affecting the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and causing disorders where the contents of the stomach are returned to the esophageal which should otherwise be freely flowing into the stomach. The esophageal opens to allow the food to pass swiftly through it to the stomach and closes to prevent any acid and juices from the digestion process in the stomach to flow back into the esophageal. GERD occurs when this natural process is hampered and the food flows back into the esophageal due to the LES being weak and relaxing inappropriately.
As pointed by Doctors, GERD occurs because of hiatal hernia – a condition in which the stomach bulges up into the chest through an opening in the diaphragm (a muscle that separates the abdomen from the chest). Hiatal hernia weakens the LES, resulting in higher chances of GERD. Strained coughing, vomiting, straining, or excessive physical exertion can cause hiatal hernia. Pregnant women and obese people have higher chances of being affected by hiatal hernia.
However, in most cases, the hiatal hernia does not cause severe symptoms and may not require any treatment unless the hernia hampers the blood supply or is affected by severe GERD or swelling in the esophagitis. However, GERD causes heartburn, acidity, and discomfort. Though in most of the cases, GERD can be treated through some changes in diet and lifestyle, and no other medication would be necessary. But in some serious cases, where such changes and home remedies do not provide any relief for heartburn and acidity, one may need to visit the doctor.
If you have GERD and are experiencing acidity symptoms, heartburn, discomfort, gas troubles, etc. frequently then Gas-O-Fast suggests you try these 3 natural GERD home remedy solutions for instant relief.
• Baking Soda: Baking Soda has been proven an extremely effective home remedy to the heartburn and acidity caused by GERD. It is a natural antacid and works smoothly to neutralize the acid in stomach and reduce the heartburn caused by the acid reflux. This home remedy should be taken with care without exceeding the recommended limit. You can take one tablespoon of baking soda with 8 ounces of water and repeat this for better results but not more than seven times a day. This home remedy should not be used for more than a week because it has high salt content and could cause swelling and nausea.
• Ginger or Chamomile Tea: Ginger Tea is one of the healthiest home remedies for acid reflux as it has abundant anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help in natural and healthy digestion. It is also very helpful in other stomach ailments including stomach ache, stomach burning, acidity, gastric trouble, etc. Ginger is also helpful in reducing nausea, muscle pain, swelling, and gastrointestinal irritation. You can take a few slices of ginger, boil it in a cup of water for 20 minutes, strain it, and drink the tea hot before all three meals to avoid acid reflux and acidity symptoms. Alternatively, you can also try chamomile tea for a natural GERD home remedy. The antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties of chamomile soothe the muscles of the intestines enabling food to pass through smoothly; it also reduces the stress level leading to lower heartburn. Readymade sachets of chamomile tea are available in the market or you could take chamomile petals and boil them in water for 5 minutes, strain the mixture, and drink it hot. You can also add some honey, lemon or any other flavor to this tea, as per preference.
• Eat Recommended Fruits: An easy way to get rid of GERD problem naturally is to increase your consumption of fruits such as bananas that have natural antacid properties, counter acid reflux, and correct digestive disorders. Gas-O-Fast suggests you consume one fully ripened banana each day to avoid acid in stomach and GERD problems. Alternatively, you can eat slices of apple a few hours before sleeping to avoid discomfort at night.
Some other fruits that alleviate the GERD and acidity symptoms are honeydew, cantaloupe, and watermelon. It is advisable to avoid citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, pineapple, etc.
Apart from these home remedies for GERD, Gas-O-Fast advises you to bring some changes in diet and lifestyle to avoid the acid reflux problems.
• Do not lie down after eating instead take a walk
• Eat light meals
• Avoid eating excess salt
• Do not eat 2 hours before your bedtime
• Maintain a healthy weight
• Avoid foods such as peppermint, chocolate, fatty and spicy items, and alcoholic beverages.
• Minimize or avoid intake of citrus fruits, tomatoes, and pepper
These home remedies and suggested changes are sure to bring relief to cases that have GERD symptoms. Gas-O-Fast wishes you stay happy and healthy!
Disclaimer This blog solely intended for the educational/informational/awareness purposes and is not a substitute for any professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your doctor/healthcare professional before acting on the information provided on the blog. Reliance on any or all information provided in the blog, is solely at your own risk and responsibility. Mankind Pharma Limited shall not be held liable, in any circumstance whatsoever.