When some of the stomach's acid flows into the oesophagus, it is known as acid reflux. Your chest may feel like it's burning, and the discomfort may spread to your neck and throat. Heartburn is a common name for this discomfort. If you have acid reflux, you might develop a sour or bitter taste at the back of your mouth. It might also cause the regurgitation of food or liquid from your stomach into your mouth.
Hydrochloric acid, a potent acid found in the stomach, aids in the breakdown of food and serves as a defense against pathogens like bacteria. The lining of the stomach is specially adapted to protect it from the powerful acid, but the esophagus is not protected. The gastroesophageal sphincter, a muscular ring, often serves as a valve to keep food from coming back up into the oesophagus while allowing it to enter the stomach. When this valve malfunctions, stomach acid flows backward into the oesophagus.
This is acid reflux. A person will feel a burning sensation in their esophagus as the acid rises up. This is heartburn.
● Eating large meals or lying down right after a meal
● Being overweight or obese
● Eating a heavy meal and lying on your back or bending over at the waist
● Snacking close to bedtime
● Eating certain foods, such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods
● Drinking certain beverages, such as alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, or tea
● Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day and modify the types of foods you are eating
● Quit smoking
● Eat at least 2 to 3 hours before lying down
● Try sleeping in a chair for daytime naps
● Don't wear tight clothes or tight belts
● If you're overweight or obese, take steps to lose weight with exercise and diet changes
● Also, ask your doctor whether any medication could be triggering your heartburn or other symptoms of acid reflux disease
For people who experience heartburn or indigestion infrequently, perhaps in association with occasional food and drink triggers, OTC treatments to reduce the acidity of the stomach contents are available. Antacids such as Gas-O-Fast are effective in bringing quick relief from the symptoms of acid reflux. Gas-O-Fast also helps in the case of gas and indigestion. The 100% ayurvedic formulation ensures it can be taken any number of times with zero effects.
For some severe cases of acid reflux, there are medicines prescribed by doctors. If you are frequently facing the issue then visit your doctor to get checked for there could be an underlying issue causing the symptom to rise.
Disclaimer This blog solely intended for the educational/informational/awareness purposes and is not a substitute for any professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your doctor/healthcare professional before acting on the information provided on the blog. Reliance on any or all information provided in the blog, is solely at your own risk and responsibility. Mankind Pharma Limited shall not be held liable, in any circumstance whatsoever.