Mirch ka Saalan is a much loved dish of Hyderabad. As the name suggests, it is the ‘Saalan’ of ‘Mirch’ i.e. Chili Curry. It is a super spicy, lip-smacking curry that is sure to excite your taste buds. However, due to the spice and heat, it can also aggravate your acidity symptoms. But, for that we have Gas-O-Fast. Just gulp down the sachet contents in a glass of water and feel the relief within seconds.
- Green chilies 18-20 Big
- Roasted peanuts 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds (Til) 2 tablespoons
- Dried red chilies: broken 2
- Oil for deep-frying
- Garlic halved 6-8 cloves
- Ginger,chopped 1 inch piece
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves 8-10
- Onion grated 1 medium
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind pulp 2 tablespoons
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 1 tablespoon
1. Slit the green chilies vertically without cutting through. Now heat sufficient oil in a non-stick pan and deep fry the chilies for 3-4 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds and sesame seeds in a non stick pan.
2. Grind together red chilies, peanuts, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, sesame seeds, garlic and ginger with sufficient water into a paste. Pour 1 tbsp of the leftover oil in another non stick pan and heat. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add curry leaves and onion. Mix well and sauté till the onion is well browned. Add the ground paste and mix well.
3. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add turmeric powder and 3-4 cups of water. Stir and cook for a 2-3 minutes. Add the fried green chilies, salt and tamarind pulp. Mix well and cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves with Pulao or Biryani or steamed rice.
Image Courtesy: yummytummyaarthi.com