Acidity or Heartburn is a very troublesome lifestyle related condition. It has the tendency to become a chronic and long lasting problem that interferes with our day-to-day lives. People however, are not much educated about this condition and often don’t know what to do or how to avoid it.
Below are few simple FAQs that can help you become more aware:
Q1. What is Acidity?
A1. It is an uncomfortable feeling of burning in the chest with a bitter taste in mouth.
Q2. How does Acidity happen?
A2. Acidity is caused by excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach.
Q3. What kinds of foods cause Acidity?
A3. In a nutshell, foods that irritate the stomach lining cause acidity. They can be spicy or oily foods or tea and coffee.
Q4. Does smoking and drinking alcohol cause Acidity?
A4. Yes! It is advised to refrain from smoking and drinking if you suffer from acidity.
Q5. Does stress cause Acidity?
A5. Yes! Stress induces indigestion and eventually acidity.
Q6. What can I do to avoid acidity?
A6. Below are few tips you can follow:
- Do Not Go to Bed Right after Meals: Walk a while before you put your body to rest after you have had food.
- Avoid Spicy and oily Food Items: They are primarily responsible for causing acidity.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, tea and coffee: Easier said than done but you have to be strong.
- Try Antacid: They are amazing products for giving you instant relief. A tried and tested antacid brand you must try is Gas-O-Fast. Apart from instant relief, it doesn’t leave a bad, medicine-like taste in your mouth as it is available in yummy flavors of Jeera, Pudina and Ajwain.
- Drink Enough Water: Having fluids (water, mineral water, coconut water etc) is the key to avoid acidity. It will keep you hydrated as well as protect the stomach lining.
Image Courtesy: advantagecs.com